Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 28- A Day of Rest

source (and a good article on rest)
We often hear Sunday called a "day of rest" because the Lord rested from creating the world on the 7th day. It's best for us if we take at least one day a week off work to refresh-it allows for happier more productive people.

Sundays can get very busy even without work. I feel like most people just can't sit still, like the world will end if this or that doesn't get done! Now, I'm not petitioning for laziness, but it really is ok to just have a day to rest and enjoy without a to-do list or this or that place to be.

Our Sundays are usually pretty simple: Get up and go to church, have lunch, grocery shopping, maybe see friends, and maybe take a nap before dinner and homework. I know, I know- sounds like a really cush life, and you parents out there are shaking your heads at me-don't worry, i'm soaking in all my free time and naps before I have kids. :) But even Sundays as easy as that can feel burdensome due to being too worn out from the previous week.

Today was one of those days.

The alarm went off at 6:30 for church (we were going to head an hour south to our parents' church) and I just rolled over and asked if he still wanted to go. Of course he still wanted to go but my fabulous and caring husband saw that it was one of those Sundays I (we) needed off. So we rolled over and slept in.

Heathens! you say!

No, I don't think it's a sin to skip church, but I do think it is bad to make a habit out of it. We need fellowship and encouragement from fellow Christians, to learn and be convicted and have that time set apart to worship. Of course you can and should worship throughout your day (worship is anything you offer to God:singing, dancing, praying, fellowship, washing the dishes) but going and being with your church family is so important.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...