Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 1: Be Still

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth."
I think a good way to start off these 31 days would be to do a quick study of the inspiration verse above.

If you are going through this month with me, I encourage you to grab your Bible now or Google Psalm 46 and read it entirely. It's only 11 verses long, nice and short. We'll do it together, ready go.................

To really know what the meaning of a verse is we need to read it in context- that's why we just read all of chapter 46. I see three main sections in this verse:

First: verses 1-3: talks about not fearing because the Lord is our "refuge and strength." in other words the Lord's protection.
Second: Verses 4-7; This part is a little weird at first. There's this river, and then the earth is melted. Whaaa? Really this section is using poetic language (the Psalms are poetry bytheway) to show us the Lord's presence. He is in His Holy City, He is helping, protecting, He is there.
Third: Verses 8-11.This part shows God's might. He always wins His battles.This is showing the Lord's preeminence. (preeminence: simple definition: having the highest rank, honor, dignity, importance)

 To fully understand the meaning of truth of a verse we have to set it in it's original historical context as well.The Psalms were used for Hebrew worship and private devotions, they show a vast range of human emotion and experience all while praising God and acknowledging His power, greatness and love. Psalm 46 then is observing and telling the Israelite people that the peace and security of their nation was because of God. We all know that the Israelite nation has not always been at peace- this is because they broke their covenant with God. (see Exodus 19:5-6) Though this isn't a direct promise to believers today the principle and truth behind this passage are applicable to us.

Principles and Truths:
God is with us. (Matthew 28:20)
He is our protector. (John 10:27-29)
He is trustworthy. (John 14:1)

Therefore, because He is our protector, because He is always with us, and because He is above all others, we can be still (or cease striving) and know that He is God.

Application: Today I have been all too busy, striving with life, striving with work, striving with school, striving with God even. Go, go, go. Do, Do, Do. I need to cool it. I need to slow down, spend time in the Lord's presence. I need to Be Still, meditate on His word, and Know that He is God. He'll protect and provide for me, I don't need to worry. I don't have to work for His love and presence, He's already here.

That is what this month is about: slowing down and actually taking the time to study, meditate (think about and fill yourself with) on the Word, and get to Know God in a deeper way.

Are you ready to Know the Lord? I am. 

See the other 31 Days Here.

For this study I used Libronix Digital Library. It's a fantastic Bible study tool. It was a required "text" for my school and SO worth the money put in to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...