Saturday, August 25, 2012

Their Junk is My Treasure

Today my sweet friend Katt and I drove around Salem with Iced Dutch Bros drinks in hand and eyes peeled for garage sale signs. We had so much fun chatting and laughing and finding AMAZING DEALS together.
Katt was specifically looking for a table, chairs and a shelf for her townhouse. We found her an oak table and three chairs for $10 in fantastic condition! And a solid book self in need of paint or a cute curtain for $5! BAM! She got a bunch of other cute stuff too: shirt, pottery barn like vase, candle holder, art work, etc.

I didn't really have anything specific in mind but went out with a smaller amount of cash in hand and remembering the tinyness of our apartment to keep my self in check!

Here's what I got today (a few are from yesterday):

Books: $2.50 (the yellow Little House books were free! Mom use to read them to us. Some are missing and they have been well loved but that make me like them more)
Teal/green cabinet: $10 the most expensive item, i haggled her down from $15.
Mosaic Candle holders: a dollar a piece
Two Candle sticks: $3
Owl Figures: $1
Blue Sign: $2. Sticker on the back said $19 from craft warehouse! Bwahhahahahaha
fishing weight: $1
Tin bucket: $1
Red cast iron Christmas tree stand: $3!!!
below: chandelier: $5!
Oh, and if you're wondering about that fabulous old window in the back ground, I got that for $6 a few weeks ago at a recycling center!

I can't wait to play with all my treasures and show you all what I did with them!

So maybe you are wondering what my "thrifting tricks are..."

-First, have an idea or list in your head of things you want or like to collect and what you would pay for it

-have a reasonable idea of what can fit into your home and before you buy have an idea of what you are going to do with it! 

-Haggle, within reason of course. The seller does want to make some dough and so would you!

-Go often. when I'm looking for something in particular I stop buy the nearby Goodwill once or twice a week.

-BE PATIENT! if it's more than what you wanted to pay for it,DON'T buy it! Wait for a better deal to come along. I waited about a year before I found my Papasan chair in good condition and in my praice range. Of course every once and a while something perfect comes around just when you want it, like my brand new espresso machine I found at the Goodwill for $15!

-The whole point of thrifting and going garage sale-ing is to SAVE money! So don't go out and buy worthless stuff that'll end up in your garage sale next summer or spend more than you budgeted!

Feel free to comment below with any questions!

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...